Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Spidey

Everyday is a new experience teaching school. Never a dull moment you might say, which requires one to be on their toes at all moments. You must make sure you are prepared with smart comebacks (IE. in response to comments from a particular student about your new styley thick belt looking like a heavy weight champion belt from WWF or such), be prepared for a student hiding beside your door waiting to surprise you at your EVERY return to the class room (yes, I have almost peed myself multiple times), and ALWAYS prepared for some sort of chaos after you have had a substitute for a day or two.

Sunday night right before school started up after Christmas break, I found myself wishing something would happen so I wouldn't have to go back to real life the next day- maybe a snow day or something. Unfortunately my wish did not come true because Monday I was back at school. The day went great and I realized how much I had missed my students- it felt good to be back to real life. Throughout the day, though, I seemed to be feeling a cold coming on. Yadda Yadda Yadda. Ends up I am sick the rest of the week with some nasty bug. (be careful what you wish for).

Anyways, the point of the story, a week later (Monday) I head back to school after my nasty flu bug, and (as I said in the beginning it is not fun to return after a substitute) I walk into my room to find a ten gallon fish tank sitting in the middle of my room..... No fish inside the tank... No water inside the tank.... just some dirt, and a small hollowed out log. Luckily there was a screen on the top of the tank held down by two textbooks- which is at the same time a bit alarming... Inside, though I didn't know it then, was my new class pet Spidey. Spidey is a Chilean rose tarantula, which was dropped off in my absence on Friday). She was a going away gift from Justis, one of my students who's family is moving. Spidey, who I think is a she, has definitely grown on me. I only have to feed her once every 2 weeks, I only have to clean her tank once a year, and most the time she just sits there. After having two high maintenance dogs this sounds pretty nice. Oh, I forgot to mention, they live 10 to 15 years. Well, adios- I have got to go buy crickets and take the dogs for a walk..

5 comments:

K.Booth said...

Hey, I know nick doesn't like dogs, but I have never heard him say he didn't like spiders. Since it is big like a dog and way low matainence maybe this is the dog for nick................his birdday is in april. Does it have a collar??

Butch Tiger said...

I'll bet the kids love you and really missed you when you were gone. Keep up the good work and every week I say to myself, "I wish I was Dave and Kristin. It would be so fun." Just one day. Have a good one. dd

Jason Sarah and Bridger said...

ewwww! That is aweful. I am sorry.

Rachel said...

I love that you now have a pet spider. All I have to say is, at least it wasn't a snake.
Kristin, glad to know you are feeling better and back to work.

Shauna said...

That is nasty and I am wondering if we are really related...or if you were switched at birth! Two dogs and now a spider! PS Lilly sleeps with Ferb every night it helps her not miss you!! how sweet is that! I miss you and love you more than ever.